1855 - 1878
Where the story of Martin & Pleasance Began
Where the story of Martin & Pleasance began – founded by Homeopath Mr Kinder in 1855 when he opened his homeopathic pharmacy at 85 Collins Street, Melbourne. Their portfolio consisted Schussler Tissue Salts & Herbal Creams.
M Edward Gould bought the homeopathic pharmacy from Mr Kinder in 1860, renaming the business to ‘Gould & Son’.
Mr R J Martin forms a partnership with ‘Gould & Son’, and soon becomes the sole proprietor of the business when Edward Gould returns to England, retaining the newly established name of ‘Gould & Martin’.
Medically training Charles Pleasance joined forces with Mr Martin in 1878, at which time they renamed the pharmacy Martin & Pleasance. Mr Pleasance was of English heritage and would go on to be the first elected Lord Mayor of Melbourne. Mr Pleasance would go on to be the sole owner of the business in 1886.